Kick-off for Marine Pollution Control Simulator (MPCS) Project
Qualiseg is proud to announce the start of MPCS Project, which aims at developing a cloud-based tool easily reachable through different platforms (mobile, tablet, or laptop), that allows the providing of training, exercising, assessment, and performance evaluation of the marine pollution control, at different levels, namely:
· Collective and individual competence
· Regional, National and supranational levels
· Small and large-scale scenarios
MPCS is an innovative tool considering the following aspects:
· Lake of similar tools in the marine pollution control or related area
· Adjustability to individual or collective training and exercising, allowing the development of Collective Competence in a virtual environment; state of the art virtual simulation tools are focused in the individual competence development
· Response Capacity Assessment of the agents facing an incident, based in the potential pollution scenarios
Supported in Mathematical Models, Discrete-Events Simulation (DES) and Game-based Learning (GBL), MPCS adopts the game approach as a learning experience to allow the player to understand the subject matter within a real-world context.
This approach improves the interface, increases agents involvement, therefore constitutes a better tool for competence acquisition. Particularly, the Massive Multiplayer Gaming (MMG) technique allows the simultaneous involvement of several players located in different locations, making possible to assess the performance of the team that is facing a specific scenario (ex. oil spill) without employing physical means, needed on a real environment exercise.
Qualiseg is the project promotor in partnership with University of Coimbra (Portugal), Professional Institute for Transport and Logistics of Funchal (Portugal), DIrectorate-General Maritime Authority (Portugal), and Ecosistemas Virtuales y Modulares S.L (Spain).